September, 2018:

Smiths Falls, Ontario – My Top 12 Picks

Smiths Falls, Ontario – My Top 12 Picks

Smiths Falls is a town in Eastern Ontario located fourteen miles east of Perth. The Rideau Canal waterway passes through the town, with four separate locks in three locations and a combined lift of over fifteen meters (fifty feet). The city is named after Thomas Smyth, a United Empire Loyalist who in 1786 was granted 400 acres here. In 1846, there were fifty dwellings, two grist mills (one with four run of stones), two sawmills, one carding and fulling mill, seven stores, six groceries, one axe factory, six blacksmiths, two wheelwrights, one cabinet maker, one chair-maker, three carpenters, one gunsmith, eleven shoemakers, seven tailors, one tinsmith and two taverns.

At the time of construction of the Rideau Canal a small settlement had been established around a mill operated by Abel Russell Ward, who had bought Smyth’s land. Colonel By ordered the removal of Ward’s mill to make way for the canal. The disruption of industry caused by the building of the canal was only temporary, and Smiths Falls grew rapidly following construction.

The Rideau Canal area is home to a variety of ecosystems. The land along the Rideau that was once logged is now home to deep-rooted deciduous and coniferous forests that have been maturing for over one hundred years. Where the landscape flattens, there are cedar/hardwood swamps, bogs and cattail marshes which support the healthy wildlife population.

Architectural Photos, Smiths Falls, Ontario

17 Elmsley Street North – manse – hip roof, semi-circular balcony above porch

Architectural Photos, Smiths Falls, Ontario

81 Beckwith Street North – Smiths Falls Public Library – 1903 – Beaux Arts style, Ionic pillars supporting pediment with decorated tympanum and decorative cornice; corner quoins

Architectural Photos, Smiths Falls, Ontario

37 Gladstone Avenue – 2½-storey tower-like bay with pediment and fretwork; bay window on side

Architectural Photos, Smiths Falls, Ontario

Gladstone Avenue – Queen Anne style – various roof angles; voussoirs, keystones; two-storey tower-like bay; pillars with decorative capitals and trim under roof on open verandah and enclosed porch

Architectural Photos, Smiths Falls, Ontario

16 Maple Avenue – Victorian Cottage style – c. late 1890s – double bay windows, high gables decorated with detailed wood trim and finials, fretwork, voussoirs and keystones, dichromatic brickwork and banding; upper exterior porch; elegant entrance

Architectural Photos, Smiths Falls, Ontario

40 William Street – Victorian – iron cresting around balcony above bay window; turned veranda roof supports with decorative capitals and spindles

Architectural Photos, Smiths Falls, Ontario

Russell Street West – Gothic – dichromatic quoins, voussoirs and pattern; wraparound veranda

Architectural Photos, Smiths Falls, Ontario

30 Russell Street East – old Post Office – Romanesque style – designed by Thomas Fuller, Dominion Architect, in 1894; clock was added in 1915 – local red sandstone on a foundation of Beckwith limestone with stone trim from Nova Scotia

Architectural Photos, Smiths Falls, Ontario

Russell Street East corner of Market Street – Trinity United Church – 1886 – Queen Anne style – three non-symmetrical towers, various shaped windows, rose window, beveled dentil molding

Architectural Photos, Smiths Falls, Ontario

84 Lombard Street – Gothic – finials and trim on gables, corner quoins, voussoirs with keystones, second floor balcony; bay window with cornice brackets; turned spindle roof supports for veranda

Architectural Photos, Smiths Falls, Ontario

78 Brockville Street at corner of Lombard Street – built by Ogle Carss, an early mayor of the town – 1895 – Queen Anne Revival style – irregular outline, broad gables, multi-sloped roofs, a belvedere, a tower, ornamental cast iron railings on the roof; long, graceful wraparound verandah; stone voussoirs over semi-circular windows with transoms

Architectural Photos, Smiths Falls, Ontario

102 Brockville Street – Italianate – steeply pitched hip roof with dormer; cornice brackets, voussoirs; turned veranda roof supports with decorative capitals, open railing; pediment

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario – My Top 7 Picks

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario – My Top 7 Picks

Sault Ste. Marie is a city on the St. Marys River close to the US-Canada border. To the south, across the river, is the United States and the city of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. These two communities were one city until a treaty after the War of 1812 established the border between Canada and the United States in this area at the St. Mary’s River. Today the two cities are joined by the International Bridge. Shipping traffic in the Great Lakes system bypasses the Saint Mary’s Rapids via the American Soo Locks, the world’s busiest canal in terms of tonnage that passes through it, while smaller recreational and tour boats use the Canadian Sault Ste. Marie Canal.

Before there was a Soo Locks, or even houses and stores, the place we call “the Sault” was a land covered by trees. The people living in this place called themselves “Anishinabeg,” which means “The People.” They were Woodland Indians whose homes, clothing, food and tools were all made from the plants and animals they found in the woods and water around them. Where the Soo Locks are today, the river that we now call the St. Marys had huge rocks scattered across it.

French colonists referred to the rapids on the river as Les Saults de Ste. Marie and the village name was derived from that. The rapids and cascades of the St. Mary’s River descend more than twenty feet from the level of Lake Superior to the level of the lower lakes.

Each spring several large canoes paddled by men from the Montreal area called voyageurs came to the Sault from Montreal. With the voyageurs, came traders from the large fur companies of Montreal and tons of goods to be traded for the furs that the Chippewas had trapped during the winter. Among the trade goods were guns, metal knives and traps, pots and pans, blankets, beads and cotton material. Beaver furs were used to make fashionable men’s hats in Europe.

Architectural Photos, Sault Ste Marie, Ontario

420 Queen Street East – Ministry of the Attorney General Court House was completed in 1922 in the Beaux Arts Classical style. It shows fine workmanship, good material and attention to details. The imposing, symmetrical, three-storey structure is built of orange-brown stone and brick. It is set back from the street on an elevated site and approached by a circular driveway. Its temple front facade consists of Ionic columns supporting a brick pediment.

Architectural Photos, Sault Ste Marie, Ontario

3-7 Queen Street East – Built at the turn of the century, the Barnes Block combines a Gothic corner turret with a late Victorian Italianate north façade. A mortar and pestle which rise from the truncated roof are a reminder that the building was originally built as a drug store.

Architectural Photos, Sault Ste Marie, Ontario

690 Queen Street East/107 East Street – Sault Ste. Marie Museum – The Old Post Office is an imposing three storey red brick and stone building featuring a clock tower. It is prominently located in downtown Sault Ste. Marie at the intersection of Queen Street East and East Street. Built between 1902 and 1906 as a federal building, it was purchased in 1982 by the City for use as the Sault Ste. Marie Museum. It is a fine example of turn of the century Federal architecture in Ontario, combining Victorian classicism with excellent workmanship. Exterior elements include classical pediments, pilasters and cornices, Romanesque stone arches with Italianate detailing and decorative features. Inside there is an oak staircase, an exquisite three-story light well and skylight, and a plated glass floor.

Architectural Photos, Sault Ste Marie, Ontario

864 Queen Street East – Built in 1888, the Algonquin Hotel is a four-storey brick structure located in close proximity to the north shore of the St. Marys River on the northwest corner of Queen Street East and Pim Street. The Algonquin is the sole survivor of the large hotels built close to the turn of the twentieth century to cater to a rapidly expanding industrial center. These hotels were clustered around Sault Ste. Marie’s docks to serve arriving settlers and workers. The hotel is a good example of Victorian commercial architecture. Key elements that reflect the architectural style are the use of brick masonry, including the masonry arches over the windows, the truncated tent roof which caps the southwest polygonal corner of the hotel, the painted metal cornice on the Queen Street and Pim Street facades, and the chevron molding on the Queen Street and Pim Street cornices.

Architectural Photos, Sault Ste Marie, Ontario

831 Queen Street East – The Ermatinger Old Stone House is a two-storey stone structure built on the north bank of the St. Mary’s River near the rapids in Sault Ste. Marie. The house provides a link to Sault Ste. Marie’s role in the fur trade and to one of its earliest settlers. Charles Oakes Ermatinger, a member of a prominent Montreal family who joined the Northwest Company and married Charlotte Katawabeda, the daughter of the Paramount Chief of the Ojibway, built the house in 1812-1814 of local red sandstone in a style characteristic of vernacular Georgian architecture but employed Quebec construction techniques. The house quickly became the center of government in the northwest part of the province and of the business and social life of the district. It later served as the first courthouse, a post office and a hotel. The house served as the headquarters of Sir Garnet Wolseley in 1870 when the expedition he commanded stopped at Sault Ste. Marie enroute to quell the Red River Rebellion and to establish Canadian sovereignty over Manitoba and the Northwest Territories.

Architectural Photos, Sault Ste Marie, Ontario

115 Upton Road – Built in 1902 as a family residence, the asymmetrical composition, turret and the variety and complexity of detail seen in the spindle work, porch supports and gable ends are typical of the Queen Anne style. It is a substantial, gracious and elegant framed dwelling on the west side of Upton Road in the east end of the older residential core. Edward L. Stewart, Manager of the International Lumber Company was the original owner and hired Thomas McKissock to begin construction in 1902. The plan is cruciform shaped with the head forming the main east elevation. The main facade and the wraparound veranda are the most prominent features of the house. The classical style veranda was originally accessed by two sets of identical steps at each end emphasized by a classical pediment. There are cornice brackets on the hexagonal turret below the cone-shaped roof.

Architectural Photos, Sault Ste Marie, Ontario

Built in 1889, 34-36 Herrick Street is a yellow brick residence located on a quiet dead end street in the east end of the older residential core of Sault Ste. Marie. This house is an early example of Second Empire style architecture. The south elevation of the main house faces the street and was built in a symmetrical fashion. It is heightened by a projecting central frontispiece that continues up into a mansard roof which was originally sheathed with cedar shingles. Around the turn of the century, a demising wall was constructed through the middle of the house and the front porch was rebuilt to accommodate separate front entrances for two semi-detached units.

Owen Sound, Ontario – Book 2 – My Top 9 Picks

Owen Sound, Ontario – Book 2 – My Top 9 Picks

Owen Sound is located on the southern shores of Georgian Bay in a valley below the sheer rock cliffs of the Niagara Escarpment.  The city is located at the mouths of the Pottawatomi and Sydenham Rivers.  It has tree-lined streets, many parks, and tree-covered hillsides and ravines.

In 1814-1818, the first Admiralty Survey of Lake Ontario and the coastal waters of Georgian Bay was undertaken by Captain William Fitzwilliam Owen, Royal Naval Officer, surveyor, land-owner, politician, author and justice of the peace.  He named the bay and the future site of Owen Sound after his family.  His successor, Admiral Henry Wolsey Bayfield, completed the first survey of lakes Erie, Huron, and Superior in 1817-1825.  The work of these officers rendered great service to Canada by increasing the safety of navigation.

The city was first known as Sydenham when it was settled in 1840 by Charles Rankin.  Prior to his arrival, the area was inhabited by the Ojibway people.  In 1851 the name was changed to Owen Sound.  For much of its history, it was a major port city known as the “Chicago of the North.”

Owen Sound Bay is a valley in the Niagara Escarpment formed by rivers that cut through the escarpment limestone.  The valley begins where the Sydenham River cuts down through the escarpment at Inglis Falls and extends out through the bay beyond Bayview Point for a total distance of 16 kilometers.

As the Niagara Escarpment winds its way across southern Ontario, it is interrupted by many deep valleys carved out by the erosive forces of water and ice.  Like Colpoy’s Bay to the north, Owen Sound Bay is a drowned valley partially hidden under Georgian Bay.  Other escarpment valleys like the Dundas Valley are buried under glacial sediments, while the Beaver and Bighead Valleys are occupied by rivers.

Today the Niagara Escarpment continues to slowly erode back from its present position.

John Harrison, born in Staffordshire England, emigrated to Canada at the age of six with his widowed father, three sisters and three brothers.  It was 1830 and they settled in Puslinch Township near Guelph.  Eighteen years later, John and two brothers, William and Robert, arrived in the Village of Sydenham (now Owen Sound).  They acquired the mill dam site on the Sydenham River and operated waterpower grist, woolen and saw mills.  In 1866, John moved his sawmill to the Pottawatomi River and established the steam powered Owen Sound Saw Mills.   He prospered and expanded the saw and planning mills and the range of products offered.  In 1861 he married Emma Hart and they raised their family of six children in a white roughcast house beside his mills.  In 1875-76 they purchased the land now known as Harrison Park.  The mill operation included horses.  When the mills were slack in depressed times, John sent the men to work and exercise the teams on this land.  They built roads, bridges, paths and buildings, gradually bringing his vision for the parkland to life.  John and his family and employees transformed this land and created Harrison Pleasure Grounds where everyone was welcome.  Between 1909-1911 while John’s eldest son Frederick served as Mayor of Owen Sound, the parkland was transferred to the town for half the value of the land – as long as it remained a public park forever.

The park today includes picnic facilities, basketball courts, heated twin swimming pools, canoe and paddle boat rentals for use on the river, a bird sanctuary, a mini-putt golf course, playground, campsites, cycling and walking trails, and the black history cairn and Freedom Trail.

Architectural Photos, Owen Sound, Ontario

935 2nd Avenue West – built in 1912, Second Empire style – 3-storey turret, mansard roof

Architectural Photos, Owen Sound, Ontario

#869 – Gothic Revival, verge board trim on gables, cornice brackets

Architectural Photos, Owen Sound, Ontario

Vernacular style – 2½ storey tower-like bay, pediment above entrance

Architectural Photos, Owen Sound, Ontario

Edwardian – Palladian window, pediment, cornice brackets, two-storey bay windows

Architectural Photos, Owen Sound, Ontario

#452 – Gothic style, verge board trim, cornice brackets, corner quoins, bay window

Architectural Photos, Owen Sound, Ontario

Old Post Office – 1907 – Beaux Arts style featuring harmony and balance; positioning of windows, Ionic columns, pediments project vertical and horizontal symmetry; shapes and materials echo across all three floors in pleasing proportions; varied texture of stone graduates from rough and solid rock face limestone to slightly inset and smoother stone above, providing a lighter feel the higher the building climbs; window sills are continuous cut stone, walls are lined with brick; a brick vault was constructed on each of the first and second floors; mansard roof with dormers; voussoirs and keystones over windows and doors on first floor.

Falls on Weavers Creek, Owen Sound, Ontario

Weaver’s Creek feeds into Sydenham River.

Falls on Weavers Creek, Owen Sound, Ontario

The falls on Weavers Creek in Harrison Park is an opportunity to see a miniature plunge falls flanked by cascading falls – two types of waterfalls in one.

Inglis Falls, Owen Sound, Ontario

Inglis Falls – The Sydenham River pours over a fan-like rock formation of limestone shelves creating an eighteen metre high cascade that has carved a deep gorge at the base of the falls.
In 1845 Peter Inglis, a newly immigrated young Scottish millwright, bought the 300-acre property and built his gristmill on the very brink of the falls. It was powered by river water which was controlled and harnessed by a wooden dam, flume and water wheel. Inglis also used the river to power a sawmill which he built on the east side of the river opposite the gristmill.
Peter, his wife Ann with their three small children Eileen, John and George lived in a one storey frame house to the east of the mill until a larger two-storey stone house was built in 1852; three more children had been added to the family by this time, William, Mary Anne and Sarah. The small frame house, along with two others nearby, was used to house mill workers. At this time Inglis also built a new four-storey mill.
In the 1870s the sawmill at the falls was torn down and replaced by a woolen mill which produced cloth, flannels, and blankets.

Owen Sound, Ontario – Book 1 – My Top 7 Picks

Owen Sound, Ontario – Book 1 – My Top 7 Picks

Owen Sound is located on the southern shores of Georgian Bay in a valley below the sheer rock cliffs of the Niagara Escarpment. The city is located at the mouths of the Pottawatomi and Sydenham Rivers. It has tree-lined streets, many parks, and tree-covered hillsides and ravines.

This area of the upper Great Lakes was first surveyed in 1815 by William Fitzwilliam Owen and Lieutenant Henry W. Bayfield. The inlet was named “Owen’s Sound” in honor of the explorer’s older brother, Admiral Sir Edward Owen.

The city was first known as Sydenham when it was settled in 1840 by Charles Rankin. Prior to his arrival, the area was inhabited by the Ojibway people. In 1857 the name was changed to Owen Sound. For much of its history, it was a major port city known as the “Chicago of the North.”

The Old Mail Road was the first into the County, running from Barrie to Meaford. The Toronto-Sydenham Road (Highway 10) was constructed in 1848. In 1868 the first telegraphy system was established connecting the County with Toronto.

The Tom Thomson Memorial Art Gallery is located in Owen Sound. Tom Thomson was born in 1877 and grew up in a home that appreciated literature and music. He worked as an engraver. In 1912, he sketched in Algonquin Park and canoed the Spanish River. The result was a full size canvas, Northern Lake. He returned each year to Algonquin Park where he supported himself as a ranger and guide as he continued to paint, producing masterpieces such as Autumn Foliage, The West Wind, and Northern River.

William Avery “Billy” Bishop was born in Owen Sound in 1894. Given a .22 rifle one Christmas, Billy was offered 25 cents for every squirrel he shot. “One bullet – one shot” became Billy’s motto. Bishop flew planes in the First World War. Courage and marksmanship made him one of the war’s greatest fighter pilots.

Norman Bethune was born in 1890 in Gravenhurst. From childhood he dreamed of becoming a doctor like his paternal grandfather, one of the founders of the University of Toronto’s Medical School. The family moved to Owen Sound where Norman finished high school. In 1914, one year short of finishing his medical training, he left for France as a stretcher bearer, Navy surgeon, and as a senior medical officer in the new Royal Canadian Air Force. After returning home to Canada, he was appointed to the McGill University teaching staff where, as a thoracic surgeon he invented new surgical instruments. He supported a universal health insurance plan for Canadians. While in Spain during the Spanish Civil War, he organized a mobile blood transfusion service, the first of its kind. In 1938, Bethune went to China to work in Mao Tse-Tung’s 8th route army, performing surgical operations in field hospitals. He cut his hand and it became infected and led to his death in 1939. The Gravenhust home where he was born has been restored as the Bethune Memorial Home.

Agnes Campbell Macphail was born in 1890 in Grey County. In 1921, she became the first woman to be elected to the Canadian parliament. She was later elected to the Ontario Legislature where she was responsible for the province’s first equal pay legislation.

Architectural Photos, Owen Sound, Ontario

#948 – Edwardian style with 2½ storey tower-like bay, pediment above verandah

Architectural Photos, Owen Sound, Ontario

932 3rd Avenue West – Former U.S. Consulate – 1890 – Vernacular example with Italianate influence, tower

Architectural Photos, Owen Sound, Ontario

948 3rd Avenue West – Billy Bishop Home and Museum – built 1884 – Queen Anne Revival style, asymmetrical proportions, a variety of window shapes and decorative millwork – While not overly extravagant, the Bishop family home is a relatively large estate. The Bishops wished to show their stability while being careful not to flaunt their wealth and thus the lavish details were kept to a minimum. Mrs. Bishop received a sizable inheritance from her family which helped fund the construction of the house, while Mr. Bishop worked from home as a lawyer.

Architectural Photos, Owen Sound, Ontario

261 9th Street West – Victorian style

Architectural Photos, Owen Sound, Ontario

Victorian style – dichromatic brickwork, banding

Architectural Photos, Owen Sound, Ontario

Victorian style – banding, verge board trim on gables, fretwork, dichromatic brickwork

Architectural Photos, Owen Sound, Ontario

The grain elevators caught in the golden glow of sunset

Goderich, Ontario – My Top 24 Picks

Goderich, Ontario – My Top 24 Picks

Goderich is located on the eastern shore of Lake Huron. The town was laid out in 1828. The unique layout of Goderich’s core encompasses eight primary streets radiating from an octagon bounded by eight business blocks. This civic square, with a park at its center, is popularly known as “The Square”. Four streets intersecting at right angles – Victoria, Nelson, Waterloo and Elgin – form the outer edges of the core with the octagon in the center.

The Square reflects a vision of a town center of classical design and elegance. From the 1840s to the 1890s, the growth of Goderich centered around the development of the Market Square. For nearly 100 years the original Huron County Courthouse, an Italianate brick building of imposing scale and elegance, stood in the center of The Square. The current courthouse replaced the original which was destroyed by fire in 1954.This fast growing town was the center of a prosperous agricultural region. The Sifto Salt Mines are located under Lake Huron.

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

92 The Square – Hotel Bedford – 1896 – three-storey hotel with thirty-five rooms – Romanesque arches on the ground floor and restrained Italianate decorative elements such as the large cupola and projecting balustrade above the entrance.

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

Huron County Court House – After the tornado with no trees left

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

Sifto Salt Mine

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

52 Montreal Street – Goderich Public Library was opened in 1903 as a Carnegie library. It is in the Romanesque Revival style with the large round tower, the round-headed windows, and the irregular roof.

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

65 Montreal Street – The “Garrow House” was built around 1850 and was the residence of James Thompson Garrow who later became Supreme Court Judge and local Judge of the Canadian Exchequer Court. It is in the Italianate style with unusual bracketing, a two-storey veranda, large front windows and two end chimneys, a central Palladian window and decorative stone lintels and keystones.

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

57 West Street – Port of Goderich Municipal Offices in 2007 – It was built in 1890 of stone in the Romanesque style with massive gables. The building was designed by Thomas Fuller, one of Canada’s leading early architects. The rusticated stone coursing and wall capping add to its monumental appearance.

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

20 Wellington Street South – The “Strachan House” was built by Adam McVicar, builder of the lighthouse, in 1880. A schooner brought 40,000 bricks to Goderich to construct this mansion for Donald Strachan, a prominent businessman. The Second Empire house features a mansard roof of patterned slate, and a tower crowned with iron cresting, and intricately molded window headings.

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

1 Beach Street – Canadian Pacific Railway station – The station is built of red brick with limestone foundation. It has a hipped roof over the central portion with a cross-gable and lunette trackside. Restored slate tiles top the conical roof of the round waiting room. The station house was opened for service in 1907. Passenger service ended in 1956, and mixed train service in 1961. One of the last CPR trains stopped on the bridge on August 3, 1988 and blew its whistle for a final time.

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

5 Cobourg Street (the MacDonald House) was the office of the Bank of Upper Canada from 1859-63 and the home of its manager “Stout Mac”. It was built in 1858 in the Georgian style with balanced façade; transom and sidelights are around the front entrance

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

85 Essex Street – “The Judges House” is a white brick High Victorian structure with a Gothic Revival flavor with Tudor Revival or Italianate features built in 1877. It derives its elegance from the symmetry of the three-bay façade. The symmetry is further emphasized by the square bay windows on the first floor as well as the central porch under the central dormer. The delicacy of the wooden barge boards and rails over the bay windows add pleasing touches.

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

135 Essex Street – c. 1880 – lakefront cottage in the Picturesque style – distinguishing features include the prominent pyramidal roof, which extends over the main façade verandah and the glazed sun-chamfered wood columns with decorative brackets.

 

56 Wellesley Street – Gothic Revival, bay window

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

82 Wellesley Street – erected in 1888, the Tom House is an Italianate structure built for Mr. John Elgin Tom, a public school inspector for West Huron. The most notable features include iron cresting on the roof peak, decorative brackets and fascia boards under the soffits, decorative fretwork around the center gable, metal roofing tiles, brick chimneys, and the square bay on the west side.

 

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

203 Lighthouse Street – The Wellesley or Wilson House was built by William Bennett Rich, a former Grenadier Guard who later served on Town Council. The house was built around 1845 and combines Georgian and Neo-classical influences. Mr. Rich had several outstanding homes built in town as wedding presents for his many daughters. It has a hipped roof, shutters on the windows, and a verandah with open railing

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

126 North Street, the Baechler House, was built in 1882 for druggist James Wilson, but it was in the Baechler family for 60 years. The tower with curved glass windows and the deep verandah wrapping around the building are typical of the Queen Anne style.

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

53 North Street was built in the Queen Anne style by George Acheson about 1905. Features include the pleasing proportions of the three-storey tower, frontispiece with gable, deep veranda with Doric pillars, and pediment with decorated tympanum

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

38 St. Vincent Street, the Johnson House, was built in 1863 for Hugh Johnston who married one of the six daughters of William Bennett Rich. It is vernacular Georgian in its massing and proportions but with Regency influences in the French doors, a Classical verandah and windows, and Italianate cornice brackets.

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

Widow’s walk on rooftop, 2½-storey frontispiece with semi-circular window in gable, one-storey wing with flat roof

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

92 St. George’s Crescent, McDermott’s Castle, begun in 1862 in an attempt to replicate the owner’s Irish castle, sat empty until 1904. A new owner added the third floor and finished the roof and tower which contained an elevator run by water from a cistern on its roof. Tower to the right has corbels on the corners and a parapet.

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

103 St. George’s Crescent, the Donnelly House, was built about 1880 for Horace Horton, a local businessman, mayor and MP. Second Empire style has both convex and concave mansard roof lines with round-topped dormers, elaborate keystones, a 3½-storey tower, corner quoins, and a second floor semi-circular balcony.

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

150 St. George’s Crescent was built for Joseph Williams, importer of fine timber which was much used in this home. Italianate – hipped roof, chipped gable with verge board trim, second floor balconies above entrance and side bay windows, corner quoins, prominent keystones above windows

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

28 Nelson Street West – built around 1870 – The bracketed trim beneath the eaves and the disposition and shape of the windows are Italianate in style. It has a hipped roof, frontispiece, keystones and drip molds.

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

80 Hamilton Street – “Thyme on 21” is a restaurant in a Victorian heritage house built in the late 1870s with iron cresting on the porch and roof peak; scroll work on the bay window and the porch is unique to this community.

Architectural Photos, Goderich, Ontario

#181 – Italianate – hipped roof, 2½-storey tower-like bay with verge board trim on gable with diamond-shaped window; paired cornice brackets, fretwork, decorative veranda entrance with stenciling