November, 2020:

Blog on Chemainus British Columbia – My Top 30 Picks

Chemainus British Columbia

Chemainus is located south of Nanaimo, and one hour north of Victoria on Trans-Canada Highway.

The name Chemainus comes from the native shaman and prophet Tsa-meeun-is (Broken Chest). Legend says that the man survived a massive wound in his chest to become a powerful chief.

Founded as a logging town in 1858, Chemainus has been tied to the forestry industry throughout its history. In the 1980s, realizing the slumping lumber industry could be devastating to the beautiful seaside community, a program was initiated to attract tourists to Chemainus. Artists began to paint murals depicting the town’s rich history on the walls of businesses and other buildings. Chemainus is now the world’s largest outdoor art gallery. Colorful murals fill every available wall in town while documenting local history in fascinating detail.

The Chemainus Murals have inspired communities throughout the world to explore their roots, to beautify their towns, and instill pride.  Using the Chemainus model, some communities have used the mural concept to develop their own revitalization for stronger economic development.

Heritage Square is a meeting place for all people.

Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
In 1862, the first Chemainus Saw Mill was powered by a fifty-foot waterfall. This energy turned a wooden wheel forty-five feet in diameter to which was attached a series of smaller wheels, chains and gears. The combination drove a vertical saw used to produce spars and cants for export.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
Three Generations Sculpture by Sandy Clark on Legion Street. – Al and Marg Johnson of Chemainus commissioned the creation of these fiberglass figures. The backdrop was painted at a later date. Al and Marg’s daughters donated the sculptures and backdrop to the Chemainus Festival of Murals Society after the deaths of their parents. It is a reminder that much dedication, community spirit, hard work and love made Chemainus “The Little Town That Did”.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
The Company Store is a 10 x 8-meter mural on Waterwheel Crescent. It was painted by Dan Sawatzky in 1983. Using an oval format, this mural shows an interior depiction of the Victoria Lumber & Manufacturing Co. Ltd. store, circa 1917. The artist recreated the deep perspective of the colorfully-laden shelves from old photographs. D.A. Gatus was the store manager. He is seen standing in the mid-ground. Ann Porter worked as a clerk, and is pictured on the left behind the counter. The V L & M Co. Ltd. used one of the first known credit card systems in the store. The purchaser would pay for the goods with coupons. In turn, the store would receive credit for the same from the company, which would deduct the amount from their employee’s pay check. The name “Victoria Lumber & Manufacturing Co. Ltd.”, and its trademark, the letter “V” in a diamond, became known throughout the world.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
Chemainus 1891 is a 16.4 x 3.5-meter mural on Mill Street painted by artist Isaac MacIagan in 1983. Passenger cars of the Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railway (E&N) steam their way across this scene of the settlement at Horseshoe Bay in 1891. The predominant center road is present-day Mill Street.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
Maple Lane Café
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
Patriotic feelings ran high as many men from Chemainus and area joined up soon after war was declared. By the end of September 1914, the mill had closed due to the war’s impact on shipping. The connection to the land the young soldiers had labored so hard to tame was severed. They left behind the fields and forest, the homesteads and the growing village, the families and elders, who would have to carry on. By the end of 1915, more than 15 percent of the local population had gone off to this bitter war; many would not return.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
House with turret
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
A huge, foreshortened iron horse steams and belches dark smoke as it leaps out of its frame and almost off the wall of Dan Sawatzky’s former home and studio on Alder Street. The subject is a working engine operating in the Chemainus area early in the 20th century. Engineer Sam Alexander operated the No. 3 Climax Engine as it hauled logs along the rails of the Chemainus Valley. The E&N Railway was completed in 1886, although working trains had been a familiar sight in the community for several years. The larger engines plied the rails through the hills and the valleys of the E&N land belt, from which the Victoria Lumber & Manufacturing Co. Ltd. drew a great deal of its timber. Smaller, more compact engines worked nearer to and at the mill, shunting timber and finished products to where they were needed.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
Chemainus
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
New Image Fitness Studio
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
Logging with Oxen is an 18.4 x 3.7-meter mural at Waterwheel Park. It was painted by Harold Lyon in 1983. Around 1898, oxen were the main form of power in logging where good timber was available. Large, well-equipped outfits used twenty to twenty-four oxen. These were divided into two teams: one drawing the logs from the bush to the road, while the other and stronger team was employed in skidding the logs to the water. Since the ox’s hoof has a thin shell, the oxen were carefully shod with thin, half-moon shaped iron shoes.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
Mural on Chemainus Harbour
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
Chemainus Harbour
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
The Spirit of Chemainus was painted by artist Dan Sawatsky in 1991 on the wall of the Pacific Shores Inn Hotel which is a quaint European-style Inn with the privacy and comforts of an American All-Suite Hotel.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
9875 Maple Street – Wreckless Potworxx Bistro and Grill
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
9877 Maple Street – Shear Impressions Nail and Hair Salon
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
9885 Maple Street – Twisted Sisters Tea Room
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
Chemainus Outdoor Gathering was painted in 2010-2013 by Lurene Haines on Willow Street. The mural is a two-part story of a typical outdoor Chemainus community gathering, with Mount Brenton in the background, set in the late 1800s. It depicts women, men and children in clothing appropriate for the time. The mural covers two sides of the Chemainus Seniors Drop-In Centre. The first segment is on part of the south wall, facing the centre’s parking lot and downtown Chemainus. The second segment and the largest piece, on the north wall facing the lane, contains the main body of the mural. The mural is designed with the first segment featuring people traveling north toward the large, second segment wall. The orientation of the first segment figures is designed to draw the onlooker’s attention and interest toward the main body of the mural.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
Chemainus Outdoor Gathering Mural
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
Painted by D. G. Chamberlain in 1988
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
The Older Generations – By Barrie Shaw-Rimmington – on Willow Street – Neil Newton and Dianne Hopkins of Chemainus commissioned this sculpture around 1990. It was created from a series of walk around photos of Neil’s parents, Yvonne and Tom Newton. It is made of Resin mixed with bronze particles then colored with acrylic paint.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
The Hermit was painted in 2004 by Paul Ygartua on Willow Street. After a life of living rough, Charlie Abbott wandered into Chemainus and settled into a wooded area nearby. Living alone in the forest he loved, he began transforming it. He planted flower beds, walled pathways, trails, and secluded corners. Charlie’s solitary sanctuary, the Hermit Trail, was a masterpiece of garden and wilderness which he shared with visitors until his death in 1989, at the age of 87.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
Chemainus Home
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
The Thirty-Three Metre Collage was painted in 1982 by artists Frank Lewis and Nancy Lagana and is on Legion Street. At the center, a boom man sorts logs in the slippery danger of the log dump. The mill is portrayed here as it was in 1892; it was the third operation to be built on the site. Owned by the Victoria Lumber & Manufacturing Co. Ltd., it was improved over the years until a fire destroyed it in 1923.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
Arrival of the H.M.S. Reindeer in Horseshoe Bay (now called Chemainus Bay) in 1869 was painted by artists Sandy Clark and Lea Goward in 1983. A luminescent cedar bark cloak envelops the figure of a Native princess as she watches the arrival of the sloop Her Majesty’s Ship Reindeer. The ship’s commander, Captain A.E. Kennedy, was an acquaintance of Isabel and Thomas George Askew, pioneers of Chemainus and mill owners for many years. The Reindeer made regular stops in Horseshoe Bay on its rounds of the coast.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
In Search of Snipes is a sculpture by artist Glen Spicer and was cast in 1986. On a moonlit summer’s night in 1913, two strangers found their way into Chemainus. While socializing with the locals, they were told of elusive snipes hiding in the forest, and that this would be a perfect night to catch them. The strangers were shown the secret place in the woods and instructed to hold a lit lantern in front of an open sack, into which the locals, acting as beaters, would drive the snipe. The townsfolk then stole back to the village. After hours of waiting, the boys realized they had been innocent victims of a bit of mischief, and they too returned to the village to join the others and share a good laugh. Snipes, like dreams, can be captured. Through hard work, Chemainus embraced its “snipes” when yesterday’s dreams became today’s realities. Due to irreparable damage, the stranger holding the lantern has been removed and placed in storage.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
The mural of Billy Thomas was painted on the General Store by Sandy Clark in 1984. Billy Thomas was born in 1874 and was the first male child of European ancestry born in the Chemainus Valley. Thomas lived here for all of his 102 years.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
Skating on Fuller Lake is a mural painted in 2007 by Dan Sawatsky on the lane beside the Chemainus Theatre. The climate of Vancouver Island has changed over time. Winters brought snow and on occasion Fuller Lake froze over. Children and adults strapped on their skates and spent a few enjoyable hours at the lake. Impromptu hockey games were great fun.
Photos Chemainus, British Columbia
9737 Chemainus Road – Chemainus Theatre – completed in 1993
Puzzle of Orcas
The mural of Orcas reminds me of the puzzle I just completed, Orca Journey by Wyland, a well-known marine-life artist.

Beaux Arts Architecture in Ontario – Top 17 Picks

Beaux Arts Architecture in Ontario

Beaux Arts: Promoters of this style sought to express the classical principles on a grand and imposing scale. Many of the Beaux Arts buildings were banks, post offices, and railway stations. The Ontario Beaux Arts style is eclectic mixing elements of Classical, Renaissance and Baroque. Often the designs have a temple-like facade, porticoes with pediments, balustrades, and capitals in many styles.

This neoclassical style is named for the French School of Architecture – l’Ecole des Beaux-Arts – that had a great impact on architecture during the second half of the 19th century and the early 20th century. Beaux-Arts architecture employs balance and symmetry and a hierarchy of spaces – from “noble spaces,” such as grand entrances and staircases, to utilitarian ones of increasing privacy. Beaux-Arts buildings are often grand and ornate, but always exhibit clarity of form and are decorated with classical elements such as columns. In Ontario, the Beaux-Arts style was most prominently used for civic buildings.

Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
Belleville Book 4 – 366 North Front Street at Campbell Street – Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce – Beaux Arts style – engaged columns with Doric capitals, voussoirs and keystones

Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
Cambridge – Galt Book 2 – 34 Water Street – Galt Public Library – 1903 – Beaux Arts style with pillars topped with capitals, triangular pediment with three acroterions, and the tympanum decorated with a Renaissance wreath surrounding an open library book; dentil molding. The cornice over the door has a central acroterion as well as two acroterions on the corners.
Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
Cayuga – 1 Cayuga Street North
Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
Hamilton Book 1 – 55 Main Street West – Hamilton Public Library was constructed in 1913 in the Beaux Arts style with pillars, dentil molding under cornice. It served as the main library for 67 years. Refurbished in 1989 to house the Unified Family Court.
Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
Kitchener Book 2 – Wilfrid Laurier University building – Beaux Arts style
Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
New Hamburg Book 1 – 145 Huron Street – New Hamburg Public Library – Beaux Arts/Classical Revival style
Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
Orangeville Book 2 – The decorative stonework on the Broadway and Mill Street facades is a hallmark of the Beaux-Arts Classicism style with the use of columns
Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
Perth – 77 Gore Street East (corner of Basin Street) – The McMillan Building – 1907 – former Carnegie Library – Beaux Arts style – pediments, pilasters with composite capitals, elaborate keystones
Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
Port Colborne Book 1 – 212-214 West Street – Constructed in 1911, the Imperial Bank of Commerce has a terracotta exterior and is in the Beaux Arts style. There is a dominant cornice and arched windows.
Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
Port Hope Book 2 – 175 Dorset Street West – David Smart House (The Hillcrest) – c. 1870 – This house is the only example of “Beaux Arts” architecture in Port Hope. An addition to the house was made around 1900 which consists of the large Jeffersonian portico on the north. This massive two and a half-story structure is held by fluted columns with large Corinthian capitals, the main original portion of the house is hipped roof section with two polygonal wings at each end. This section sports beautiful Palladian dormers, bracketed eaves and a grand verandah. The house was built for David Smart, a barrister and notary public who married Emily A. Worts of Gooderham and Worts Distilleries of Toronto. Smart became a director of that distillery.
Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
Sault Ste. Marie – 420 Queen Street East – Ministry of the Attorney General Court House was completed in 1922 in the Beaux Arts Classical style. It shows fine workmanship, good material and attention to details. The imposing, symmetrical, three-story structure is built of orange-brown stone and brick. It is set back from the street on an elevated site and approached by a circular driveway. Its temple front facade consists of Ionic columns supporting a brick pediment.
Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
Smiths Falls – 81 Beckwith Street North – Smiths Falls Public Library – 1903 – Beaux Arts style, Ionic pillars supporting pediment with decorated tympanum and decorative cornice; corner quoins
Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
St. Marys Book 1 – 15 Church Street North – 1905 – Beaux Arts style, Public Library built of St. Marys limestone – pediment with dentil molding, pillars with Corinthian capitals
Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
Thunder Bay Book 4 (Fort William) – 440 South Syndicate Avenue – Built in 1911 as a union station by the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) and the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway (GTPR), the station served as a passenger terminal and as administrative headquarters for the vast grain-handling facilities that were the foundation of the community. Union Station is a good example of Beaux-Arts design applied to a railway station. Notable architectural features include a projecting central bay with stone quoins and two wheat sheaves carved in Bedford stone, an arched entrance with a transom light, and projecting end bays with pilasters topped with decorative elements.
Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
Tillsonburg – 88 Bidwell Street – St. Paul’s United Church
Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
Waterloo Book 2 – 227 King Street South – The head office of The Mutual Life Assurance Company of Canada (now head office of Sun Life Financials’ Canadian operations) was completed in 1912. The Renaissance Revival style building is ornamented with features such as the two-story fluted paired Ionic columns supporting a large segmental arch above the main doors, elaborate window surrounds, and a parapet with a balustrade. It is clad in light brown and yellow Roman brick, and embellished with projecting pedimented bays and quoins. Many of the decorative details on the facade are made from imported English terracotta. Situated within a Beaux Arts designed landscape, the building is a unique and iconic corporate pavilion. The monumental scale of the building and its rich ornamentation symbolize the importance and stability of Waterloo’s first life insurance company and reflect the town’s early twentieth century prosperity and sense of civic pride.
Beaux Arts Architectural Photos, Ontario
Woodstock Book 3 – 445 Hunter Street – Public Library – built in 1909 – Beaux-Arts Classicism style – brick, stucco on details such as quoins, columns, portico, Corinthian order columns with flutes, formed metal cornice, flat roof, Carnegie library

Tudor Architecture in Ontario – Top 47 Picks

Tudor Architecture in Ontario

The Tudor Revival is a twentieth century movement in architecture based on sixteenth century English tastes, adapted to modern comforts. Tudor Revival structures tend to have steeply pitched roofs, often with heavy shingles. Some attempt to create the appearance of a thatched roof. Chimneys are common to find on Tudor Revival houses and are often decorated with stonework to make them stand out. If the roof contains odd angles, shapes, or asymmetrical placements of gables, eaves, and other features, the house is built on an asymmetrical floor plan. Tudor-era cottages were built upon over time, with each generation adding or taking away from the family home. As a result, the floor plans were often uneven. Tudor Revival homes are generally designed and built all at once, but the asymmetrical layout helps capture the feel of a family cottage that has been amended over time. Many buildings are composed of patterned brick or stone on the lower floor, but nearly all Tudor Revival structures will at some point transition to half-timbering. Half-timbering was a Tudor-era construction method in which a timber frame for the house would be constructed, but then the spaces between timbers were filled in with plaster or brick instead of more wood. The result was that the timber frame was left exposed, visible, and became part of the decorative elements of the building.

Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Historic Pickering Village within the Town of Ajax – 109 Old Kingston Road – Tudor
Architectural Photos, Ontario
Burlington – 566 Locust Street – Tudor style, verge board trim
Architectural Photos, Ontario
Cambridge – Galt Book 1 – 4 Brant Road South – Tudor-like style with exposed beams but with red brick exterior; 2nd floor balcony above verandah
Architectural Photos, Ontario
Cobourg Book 3 – 174 Green Street – 1840 – Haskell House was built in the Tudor Gothic style – It was a theological college to train Anglican priests. For many years it was a public school known locally as the Corktown School. In 1906, Mrs. Haskell of Chicago bought it as a summer home and added a second story and a back wing.
Architectural Photos, Ontario
Cornwall – 101 Second Street West – Tudor half-timbering in gable; two-story bay window; pediment; turned wooden porch supports with open railing
Architectural Photos, Ontario
Dundas Book 2 – 67 South Street – Tudor style trim
Architectural Photos, Ontario
Dunnville Book 1 – 241 Broad Street West – The Lalor Estate is a two-and-a-half-story residence with a four-gable roof and a wraparound veranda with fluted columns. This Edwardian structure was built in 1905. Its builder was Francis Ramsey Lalor, a prominent Dunnville businessman, politician, philanthropist, and entrepreneur. His business interests included two dry goods stores, a grocery store, an apple evaporator, natural gas wells, the F.R. Lalor Canning Factories, the F.R. Lalor Ashes Company, and the Monarch Knitting Mills. The exterior walls are red brick. There is a two-story bay window, Tudor-style timbering in the gable, a pediment above the entrance with a decorative tympanum, and sidelights beside the front door.
Architectural Photos, Ontario
Elmira Book 1 – 20 South Street – Tudor style, pediment above porch
Architectural Photos, Ontario
Fergus – St. David Street – W. G. Beatty, Foundry – c. 1912 – Tudor style
Architectural Photos, Ontario
Ridgeway – 1061 Ridge Road North
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Guelph Book 1 – 26 Stuart Street – Ker Cavan Coach House built 1928-29 in the Tudor Revival style as part of the expansion of Ker Cavan
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Ingersoll Book 1 – 316 Oxford Street – Many of the features of a Tudor style house have been incorporated in this home, including the patterned brick work, interesting chimney treatment, groups of rectangular windows, and complex roof line with many gables. Straight clean lines and design are typical. The home was built in 1937 and given to Harold and Lorna Wilson by his father E.A. Wilson as a wedding present. The Wilson family owned the Ingersoll Machine & Tool Company and were also involved in speed boat racing. In 1939 Harold won the President’s Cup with his craft “Miss Canada”, making the first time in U.S. boat racing history that the cup was won by a foreigner. Harold is included in the Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame.
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Kingston Book 6 – King Street West – Tudor style, dormers
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Kitchener Book 2 – 222 Pandora Crescent – Tudor style
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Dryden – Tudor style
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
London – Tudor style
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Niagara Falls Book 1 – 6135 Culp Street – This was the home of H. R. Acres, the Chief Hydraulic Engineer for the Sir Adam Beck Generating Station No. 1. The Tudor Revival style is shown with its exposed wood beams. The central bay projects forward and is surmounted by a central pediment in the roof. The front entrance is protected by a roof supported by brackets. The front entrance has a double door with sidelights.
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Niagara-on-the-Lake Book 1 – 184 Queen Street – Tudor style
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Oshawa Book 3 – 55 Connaught Street – J.H. Beaton House – c. 1928 – Tudor style
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Ottawa Book 3 – 17 Blackburn Avenue – Embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina – Tudor style – half-timbering, dormers
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Ottawa Book 2 – 555 Mackenzie Avenue – The Connaught Building – 1913 – Tudor Gothic – named after the Duke of Connaught, third son of Queen Victoria, who served as 10th Governor General of Canada from 1911–16 – faced in rusticated sandstone, embellished with turrets, a crenellated roof line, buttresses, corbelling, niches, carved embellishments, an ogee arched entrance and rows of flat-headed windows accented by dressed quoins
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Ottawa Book 3 – 197 Wurtemburg Street – 1869 – Embassy of the Republic of Turkey – Tudor style – The central portion of the building was a picturesque Gothic Revival structure constructed for W.F. Whitcher, Commissioner of Fisheries. The two wings and the Tudoresque half-timbering were added when the structure served as a Children’s Hospital from 1888-1904.
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Owen Sound Book 2 – Tudor style
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Paris Book 1 – 42 Broadway Street West – Tudor style stucco house
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Port Colborne Book 1 – 72 Charlotte Street – St. James’ Guild Hall – Tudor style, turret
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Port Hope Book 3 – 44 Pine Street North – c. 1816 – The two-story brick house in the Tudor Manor style has a steeply pitched gable roof, two chimneys, decorative buttresses, stepped gables with thickly molded windows, and enclosed front porch. on the ground floor there are double casement sash windows with Gothic tracery and a quatrefoil pattern in the top two panes. On the frontispiece above the brick porch is a Gothic arched double casement sash window. The brick porch is reinforced at the corners by attached pillars.
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Sarnia Book 3 – 144 Maria Street – Tudor style – Elizabethan Manor
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Sault Ste. Marie – 1129 Queen Street East – A-frame dwelling with Tudor half-timbering on the gable
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
St. Catharines Book 3 – 344 Merritt Street – The former Merritton Public Library was built in 1924 through a grant for the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. The building was designed in the Neo-Tudor style by renowned local architect Arthur Nicholson. The front entrance has a large Tudor-arch with decorative buttresses. A decorated parapet surrounds the flat roof and there is a single chimney. The exterior of the building is a dark discolored rough brick. There is a light-colored stone frieze around the building located below the diamond shaped stone decorations in the brickwork. The many windows allow a lot of natural light into the building. The windows are surrounded by wooden mullions.
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
St. Catharines Book 4 – 113 Lake Street – The former Grantham Fire Hall was constructed of steel and masonry in the Neo-Tudor style. The traditional red brick facade is laid in Flemish bond pattern; there is an elaborate decorative painted wood cornice and frieze. Decorative, rare circle muntin bars are in second floor windows. A stone carving set in entablature over the main door shows a fire carriage being pulled by horses, and stone plaques set in masonry show the firefighting crest. The building was built to accommodate a horse drawn hose wagon.
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
St. Marys Book 1 – 218 Jones Street East – Tudor Revival – 1914 – Jacobean gables, dormer, gambrel roof
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Stoney Creek – 91 Lake Avenue – Tudor, corner quoins
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Thamesford – 127 Delatre Street West – Tudor half-timbering
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Thunder Bay Book 1 (Port Arthur) – 35 High Street – Tudor half-timbering on steep gables, shed dormer in attic
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Thunder Bay Book 3 (Fort William) – 400 Catherine Street South – This house was built in 1911 for William Ross and his family. Ross worked as an engineer on the Canadian Pacific Railway and as the treasurer of Northern Engineering. Starting in 1947 the house was used by the Lakehead Board of Education. In 1966 it was sold and was divided into apartments and remains as such today. This two and a half story Tudor Revival home was constructed of red sandstone. Architectural features include the massive three story portico on the facade, and the truncated hipped roof. The north and south slopes of the roof each have a chimney.
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Tillsonburg – #16 – Tudor style
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Town of Pelham (Fonthill) – Pelham Street – Tudor
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Waterdown – 47 Elgin Street – Tudor style
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Waterloo Book 1 – 33 Erb Street West – Tudor style
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Waterloo Book 1 – 47 Albert Street – a Tudor Revival (Arts and Crafts) style house built in 1924 by the manager of the Globe Furniture Company, a world leader in furniture manufacturing especially church and school furnishings and religious carvings
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Welland Book 1 – 41 Frazer Street – Rose-Rohaly House – three-story residence built c. 1906 – converted in 1920s to Tudor Revival style characterized by exposed timbers with stucco infill and multi-paned windows
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Welland Book 2 – 194 Merritt Street West – Tudor style
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Windsor Book 1 – 811 Devonshire Road – Foxley – The Ambery-Isaacs House – 1906-1907 Tudoresque/Arts and Crafts – half-timbered upper story and gable, and the entrance portico blend Medieval and early 20th Century in a harmonious manner
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Windsor Book 1 – 1899 Niagara Street – Willistead Manor – The exterior of gray limestone, quarried in Amherstburg, was hand-cut at the Willistead work site by Scottish stonemasons specifically imported for the project. Tudoresque half-timbering
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Windsor Book 1 – 2088 Willistead Crescent – Tudor style – Dr. Charles W. Hoare Residence – 1920
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Woodstock Book 3 – 140 Vansittart Avenue – Tudor Revival style – 1½ story, stucco/timber in gables, salt box roof and gable roof at rear with gable wall dormer, multi-lights in grouped casement windows, off-centered door
Tudor Architectural Photos, Ontario
Woodstock Book 4 – 93 Light Street – c. 1849 – Modern Tudor architectural style – two-story, rug brick, trunked roof, shed dormer, off-centered door

Regency Cottage Architecture in Ontario – Top 37 Picks

Regency Cottage Architecture in Ontario

Regency Cottage, 1830-1860 – This style originated in England in 1815 and spread to Ontario later in the 19th century as British officers retired to Canada. It is a modest one-story house with a low-pitched hip roof and has a symmetrical front facade.

Regency Style, 1811-1820: Numerous towns and cities enjoy elegant rows of terraced houses built in what is now called the Regency Style. Windows are tall and thin, with very small glazing bars separating the panes of glass. Balconies are of extremely fine ironwork, made of such delicate curves as to seem almost too frail to support the structure. Proportions are kept simple, relying on clean, classical lines for effect rather than decorative touches. Windows and doors, particularly those on the ground floors, are often round-headed. Curved bow windows are popular, and detached villas often featured garden windows extending right down to the ground.

Ontario Cottage – one or one-and-a-half story buildings with a cottage or hip roof. The cottage roof is an equal hip roof where each hip extends to a point in the center of the roof. The hip roof has a long hip in the center. The Ontario Cottage is the vernacular design of the Regency Cottage which generally has a more ornate doorway and a partial or full verandah surrounding it. The roof can have a dormer, a belvedere, and generally two chimneys.

Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
New Hamburg Book 1 – 244 Peel Street – Gothic Regency Cottage
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Preston – King Street – Ontario Cottage – cement window hoods
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Cayuga – 2 Talbot Street – Regency Cottage
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Cobourg Book 1 – 212 King Street West – This Ontario cottage was the birthplace of Oscar-winning Hollywood actress Marie Dressler. Completely restored, it now serves as Cobourg Tourist Office. Memorabilia from Marie Dressler’s career and video clips from her movies are on display. Built in 1833, the cottage was of simple design, with two rooms off each side of a central hallway. It had embellishments suited to a family of means, such as high ceilings, large windows, impressive moldings and an elaborate front door. Dressler was a youngster who had a dream of being on the stage; she dared to follow that dream, and persisted in the development of her craft, through times of success and failure. At an age when most stars are long forgotten by Hollywood producers, Dressler reached the pinnacle of her career.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Colborne – 7 King Street West – c. 1830 – In 1846, Cuthbert Cumming and his wife Jane McMurray, acquired a portion of this two-acre property, and the balance in 1852. Cumming was born in Scotland and after working in the Canadian west and Quebec, he retired as a Chief Trader for the Hudson Bay Company. He remained in Colborne for many years, listed in the census records as “a gentleman” until his demise in 1870. The front elevation of this classic Regency Cottage with its low profile and deep roof overhang hides a secret. There are actually five levels, including a stone basement that housed the kitchen and servants in the mid-19th century.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Inglewood – 53 McKenzie Street – Mill Worker’ Cottage – mid 1880s – This 1½ story frame Ontario Cottage is built with a center entry, steep center gable and Gothic window in a style known locally as Rural Gothic or Carpenter’s Gothic. In 1905, Jacob Sithes purchased the house from mill owner David Graham.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Burford Book 1 – 110 King Street – Dr. Hervey Ross House – 1851 – It is usually called “The Miller House” and is a rare example of a Regency winged temple building. It is called a “winged plan” because it has a one and a half story central body with flanking one-story wings. Decorative features are fancy verge board along the front gable and French casement style windows.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Burford Book 1 – 133 King Street – Regency Cottage
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Burford Book 1 – 140 King Street – Regency Cottage
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Terra Cotta – 206 King Street – Blacksmith’s House – late 1870s – This 1½ story frame Ontario Cottage was likely built by William Wright and features a center gable Gothic window, center entry and full front veranda. In 1881, it was sold to the first of several blacksmiths starting with James Carroll, then Robert Gibson in 1900, followed by William G. Marshall in 1908. Gibson and Marshall likely used this house for worker accommodation or for rental.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Cobourg Book 5 – 18 Spencer Street East – Known as ‘The Poplars’. The Spencers, Beatty’s and Daintry’s who lived here were closely associated with the history and development of Cobourg and were connected to well-known Canadian families including the Ryersons. Early Ontario Regency Architecture
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Dundas Book 1 – 262 King Street West – old stone Regency Cottage – 1830 – dormer in attic
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Dunnville Book 2 – Sweet’s Corners – 5667 Rainham Road – Gothic Ontario Cottage
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Elmira – 4 South Street – one story Ontario Cottage with dormer in hipped roof
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Bolton – 52 Sterne Street – circa 1870s – This 1½ story Regency Cottage has the characteristic center entry flanked by symmetric windows and arched window in the center gable. The exterior is clad in wood. The shutters appear to be original and are functional rather than merely decorative. There is clear etched glass in the transom light over the door.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Bolton – 37 King Street East – William Norris House – late 1850s – This frame Regency Cottage with picket fence was purchased by William Norris in 1864. He built a store addition to the east side with a separate door and window to the street. Originally clad in roughcast plaster, it was later veneered in red brick with yellow brick trim, and decorated with ornate door stoop, carved posts and cast-iron railing, all of which have been painted over or replaced. It was bought in 1910 by Alderman D.B Kennedy, Bolton Hydro and school board member who eliminated the separate store by converting its door to a window. John and Vera Elliott Goulter bought the house in 1953 and lived here for 60 years.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Grimsby Book 1 – 129 Main Street West – Canterbury Cottage – This historic home was built in 1852 by Charles Nelles, son of Robert, and was deeded to his widowed half-sister Catharine Bingle Porter. Catharine was the daughter of Robert Nelles’ second wife, Maria Bingle. This Regency cottage with its low hip roof and large windows has a cozy appearance that hides its spacious, elegant interior. Two additions have been made to the rear of this home. The bent Catalpa tree in front of the house was once said to be a marker on an early Indian trail, leading south to flint beds in Wainfleet.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Guelph Book 1 – #29 – limestone cottage
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Ingersoll Book 1 – 185 Oxford Street – This one-story Ontario Cottage with a hipped roof is over one hundred years old. Its most attractive features are the front porch with the decorative fascia board, molded brackets and interesting railing construction and the two stained-glass panels in the front windows. This house was built for his sister by F. Richardson, lumber dealer and owner of a planing mill. He became involved in the lumber business around 1885 and erected or supplied lumber for many buildings in the area.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Mount Pleasant – 676 Mount Pleasant Road – This circa 1830 Regency Gothic cottage was the manse of the first Presbyterian and resident minister in the village, Reverend John Bryning – board and batten construction.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Mount Pleasant – 641 Mount Pleasant Road – This farmhouse was built in 1860 in distinctive Regency style evident in the long front windows in fitted panels. The bay window has Victorian details. Both the Phelps and McAllister families have a multi-generation history in the village reaching back to the early 1800s.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Neustadt Book – The Right Honourable John Diefenbaker, son of a local school teacher, was born in this house on September 18, 1895. A distinguished Parliamentarian, he was first elected to the House of Commons in 1940 and served as 13th Prime Minister of Canada, 1957-1963. Gothic Regency Cottage, verge board on gable.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Niagara Falls Book 1 – 6103 Culp Street – c. 1798 – This was James Forsyth’s second home in Drummondville. Forsyth was one of the first ten families to settle in this area in 1783. For many years Isaac Culp owned the house and farmed the surrounding land. It is in the Regency Cottage style in a square plan with a low hip roof and symmetrical arrangement of openings across the front facade.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Otterville – 225422 Main Street West – Oddy House – constructed in 1861 – Also called Woodlawn Place which is associated with Thomas Wright, a local, prominent inventor who designed and lived in the building in the mid-nineteenth century. Wright was influenced by Dr. Orson Fowler, whose 1853 book, “The Octagonal House –A Home For All”, encouraged the practicality of octagonal dwellings. Fowler argues that these homes were easier to heat and made greater use of the sun’s rays. It is a fine example of the Regency Cottage style of architecture although its octagonal shape makes it unusual. The building is of plank construction with board and batten siding. The overall plan consists of a 45-foot octagon with a 20 foot by 20-foot wing that is situated to form a trapezoidal umbrage at the side of the house. Typical of the Regency style, Woodlawn Place features a wide roof overhang and deep fascia boards. The front door is flanked with sidelights and Doric pilasters, complimented by a simulated entablature above.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Paris Book 3 – 899 Keg Lane Road – This 1½ story Regency Style house with four cobblestone walls was built for Charles and Margaret O’Neail, circa 1861, by his father Daniel O’Neail who came to Canada from Ireland in 1830. Daniel was the first president of the Paris Agricultural Society; Charles later served as president.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Port Colborne Book 2 – 1271 Sherk Road – The property was passed on to David Sherk, son of Casper Sherk, in April 1806. The Sherks came from Pennsylvania and were among the first families to settle in Humberstone. During the mid-1870s, an Ontario farmhouse was built near the center of the lot. The house is an excellent example of nineteenth century farm house building styles and techniques. It displays features of Regency, Gothic and Italianate styles of architecture. Regency detailing is seen in the large first floor windows and wraparound porch. Gothic styling is in the deep eaves and scroll work on the porch posts, and the vertical and horizontal clapboard siding. The Vernacular Ontario Gothic Cottage addition has large multi-pane, sash-type windows with Italianate hooded surrounds, end chimneys and a field stone foundation.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Port Hope Book 3 – 17 Victoria Street South – Samuel Coombe Cottage – c. 1860 – This is a one story high hip-roofed Ontario cottage, roughly square in plan with an ell to the rear. Constructed in stretcher-bond brick, it stands on a level site on a corner lot. The facade is symmetrically arranged around a central front door flanked by sidelights and transom. The gable is decorated with barge board and accented by a round-headed window and topped by a spike finial and ornament. Of special interest is the front door vestibule that could be seasonally removed in the warmer months. Samuel Coombe (1826-1905) was born in Stowford County, Devon England emigrating to Port Hope during the prosperous early 1850’s. He made a contribution as a carpenter during the building boom, and into the following decades.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Portland Book – Newboro – 14 Main Street – The Richard Blake House – c. 1858 – Ontario Cottage – 1½ stories; gable window over front doorway provided light to a central hallway on the upper floor; intricate treillage work on the veranda posts, open railing
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Rockwood – Main Street – Gothic Ontario Cottage, verge board trim on gable, sidelight, transom window, arched voussoirs
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Sarnia Book 1 – 316 Brock Street North – 1860 – Regency Cottage, hipped roof
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Thunder Bay – Fort William Book 2 – 200 May Street South – Blake Funeral Chapel – built in 1935 in the Regency style – dormer in hipped roof, voussoirs over round-arched first-floor windows
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Town of Lincoln – Beamsville – 4918 King Street – Woodburn Cottage – The land was originally deeded by Crown Patent to Jacob Beam in 1801. The house built about 1834 for James B. Osborne, a merchant, postmaster and private banker. He was a prominent member of the community. The name “Woodburn” is said to have derived from James Osborne’s second wife’s family. The house is Regency Cottage in style. It is built of Flemish double stretcher bond red brick on top of a field stone foundation. The front facade has an impressive double door with sidelights and a fan transom housed in an arched brick surround. Flanking the doorway are four large, shuttered windows, each with twelve panes and flat stone lintels on top. The hipped roof has double-flued, corbeled chimneys on each corner and has a large belvedere on top.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Uxbridge Book 1 – 127 Brock Street East – Benjamin & Elizabeth Clemence House, Shoemaker – c. 1879
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Waterloo Book 2 – 172 King Street South – the original portion, the first homestead in Waterloo, was built about 1812 by Abraham Erb; subsequent additions – white clapboard; wings on either side of center section and second-story balcony added 1855; 6-over-6 arrangement of window panes is a Georgian characteristic; symmetrical front porch between two wings with latticework, Gothic barge board and Doric columns reflects a Regency influence.
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Whitby Book 1 – 926 Byron Street South – James Keith Gordon House – 1853 – Regency Cottage
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Woodstock Book 1 – 58 Victoria Street South – Ontario Cottage – 1½ story symmetrical red brick, steep hip roof, roof line continues to form roof of open porch, turned posts and balusters
Regency Cottage Architectural Photos, Ontario
Woodstock Book 2 – 385 Brant Street – The dwelling was built about 1890 for Thomas A. McCleneghan, Deputy Postmaster and son of Alex R. McCleneghan (81 Perry Street) who was Postmaster. The dwelling is of the Regency style, 1½ stories, low hip roof and cottage appearance. The center door, flanked by large square windows, is typical of this style. The front entrance is flanked by three windows topped with an ellipse shape segmented head window. On the front porch, the ellipse and square designs are repeated in the lattice work. The brick work features beautiful brick work in the drip molding and chimney. Other details include a rectangular patterned verge board, an iron-crested bay window accented with a pair of finals and a continually repeated pattern or rectangular patterns in windows and brickwork.