Sudbury, Ontario in Colour Photos – My Top 4 Picks

Sudbury, Ontario

Greater Sudbury is the largest city in Northern Ontario. Sudbury was founded in 1883 following the discovery of nickel ore during the construction of the transcontinental railway. The people live in an urban core and many smaller communities scattered around three hundred lakes and among hills of rock blackened by smelting activity. Mining and related industries dominated the economy for much of the twentieth century. The two major mining companies which shaped the history of Sudbury were Inco, now Vale Limited, which employed more than 25% of the population by the 1970s, and Falconbridge, now Glencore. Sudbury has since expanded from its resource-based economy to emerge as the major retail, economic, health and educational centre for North-eastern Ontario.

The city recovered from the Great Depression much more quickly than almost any other city in North America due to increased demand for nickel in the 1930s. Sudbury was the fastest-growing city and one of the wealthiest cities in Canada for most of the decade. Many of the city’s social problems in the Great Depression era were caused by the difficulty in keeping up with all of the new infrastructure demands created by rapid growth. Employed mine workers sometimes ended up living in boarding houses or makeshift shanty towns because demand for new housing was rising faster than supply.

The open coke beds used in the early to mid-twentieth century and logging for fuel resulted in almost a total loss of native vegetation in the area. Consequently, the terrain was made up of exposed rocky outcrops permanently stained charcoal black, first by the air pollution from the roasting yards. Acid rain added more staining, in a layer that penetrates up to three inches into the once pink-grey granite.

The construction of the Inco Super stack in 1972 dispersed sulfuric acid through the air over a much wider area, reducing the acidity of local precipitation. This enabled the city to begin an environmental recovery program. In the late 1970s, private and public interests combined to establish a “regreening” effort. Lime was spread over the charred soil by hand and by aircraft. Seeds of wild grasses and other vegetation were also spread. More than nine million new trees have been planted in the city.

Sudbury’s pentlandite, pyrite and pyrrhotite ores contain profitable amounts of many elements—primarily nickel and copper, but also platinum, palladium and other valuable metals.

There are many details and pictures about rocks and their formation in the book on Sudbury.

Sudbury, Ontario
122 Big Nickel Road – Dynamic Earth – Dr. Ted Szilva was the creator of the Canadian Centennial Numismatic Park which opened on July 22, 1964. Ted spearheaded the creation of the Big Nickel and the original Big Nickel mine on the Dynamic Earth site. Today, the Big Nickel is an icon synonymous with Sudbury, the nickel capital of the world. In 1949 the Bank of Canada launched a nationwide contest for the design of the 1951 five-cent coin to mark the bicentennial of the chemical isolation of nickel by the Swedish chemist Baron Axel Frederic Cronstedt. The Big Nickel is a replica of this commemorative 12-sided coin designed by Stephen Trenka. The obverse features King George VI who was the monarch at the time. The reverse features a stylized nickel refinery with one large smokestack. It weighs almost 13,000 kilograms and is nine meters in diameter. Scientists and residents of Greater Sudbury work hand in hand to innovate and implement new strategies to re-green the community. The City of Greater Sudbury is a world leader in reclamation of environmentally impacted landscapes. The main components of Sudbury’s ore are nickel, copper and sulfur. Early methods of smelting released a lot of sulfur dioxide gas (SO2) into the atmosphere. Since the early 1970s, SO2 has been greatly reduced which has fostered ecological recovery. In 2015, healthy, reproducing small mouth bass returned to Sudbury’s Clearwater Lake which is slowly recovering from acidification.
Architectural Photos, Sudbury, Ontario
20 Ste. Anne Road – St. Joseph’s Hospital – Original building 1898, Surgical Ward added 1914, 1927 modern laundry added, 1928 new heating plant with a long connecting underground tunnel. In 1975 the Hospital was closed. Partially demolished, the remaining portion is now operating as Red Oak Villa retirement home.
Flour Mill Silos, Sudbury Ontario
Notre Dame Avenue – Flour Mill Silos
Onaping High Falls, Ontario
High Falls on the Onaping River drops 46 meters (150 feet) – In 1953 A.Y. Jackson, one of the founding members of the Group of Seven, painted “Spring on the Onaping River.”