October 11th, 2020:

Georgian Architecture in Ontario – Top 39 Picks

Georgian Architecture in Ontario

Georgian, before 1860 – This style began with the British King Georges in the 18th century. These buildings have balanced facades around a central door, medium-pitched gable roofs, and small-paned windows.

Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Rockwood – 477 Main Street – Rockwood Academy – Georgian style – three-story stone building with limestone walls, rough-cut quoins, symmetrical five-bay facade with double-hung six-over-six wood sash windows with a central door with a portico and a transom window and sidelights. Low-pitched cedar-shingle gable roof with many small brick and stone chimneys – The owner’s bedrooms still exist on the second floor, as do the students’ bedrooms on the third floor. The south wing still contains the classroom below the student bedrooms. The west wing remains unaltered and contains a carriage house on the ground floor with a gymnasium above.
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Ancaster – Wilson Street – Township Hall – constructed in 1871, a stone building in the Georgian style of architecture with a Neo-Classical portico and an Italianate cupola.
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Caledonia – 80 Caithness Street East – formerly Caledonia Town Hall – 1856 – Classical Georgian design – pediment above front entrance, pilasters, dentil molding below cornice, cupola on roof, arched window voussoirs and keystones
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Amherstburg Book 1 – 525 Dalhousie Street – Bellevue House – 1816-1819 – One of the finest remaining examples of domestic Georgian Neo-Classical architecture in Ontario – the home of Robert Reynolds, the commissary to the garrison at Fort Malden, and his sister, Catherine Reynolds, an accomplished landscape painter who worked in pencil, crayon, sepia wash and water colors recording scenes along the Detroit River and Lake Erie
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Grimsby – 126 Main Street West – Nelles Manor is a historic home completed in 1798 by Colonel Robert Nelles, a Loyalist from the Mohawk Valley, New York. The house is considered to be the oldest inhabited dwelling between Niagara and Kingston. It was built in the Georgian style of locally quarried stone over a ten-year period (1788-98). Built facing north and Lake Ontario on an old path called Squire Nelles’ Lane, the main entrance was later moved to the south on the other side, with a pillared porch facing on to the new Stone Road (now Main Street). The Neo-Classical portico was added in the early 1820s. This home served as Nelles’ residence during his lengthy career as Justice of the Peace, Member of the Legislative Assembly and Commander of the 14th Lincoln Militia. Colonel Nelles’ office was a small room on the north side, where he performed many marriages before clergy were available. The house was a center for gala events and remained in the Nelles family possession until 1963. It has seven fireplaces, walnut woodwork and spacious halls and rooms. Originally a private residence, it was turned into a museum in 2016 and is now open to the public.
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Alton – 19767 Main Street – Agnes and John S. Meek House – circa 1853 – This two-story Georgian style house with roughcast exterior and massive return eaves is one of Alton’s earliest homes. John Meek, a merchant and hotel owner, was named Alton’s first postmaster in 1854 and this house became the post office. After his death in 1866, Agnes Meek was appointed postmistress, followed in 1876 by their son James who served until 1883. The Meek’s son Thomas owned the house until 1950.
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Dundas Book 1 – 42 Cross Street – Georgian style architecture
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Burford – 55 Maple Avenue North – Stuart House – 1886 – was built by Elijah Stuart in the Georgian Symmetry style with Italianate features, segmental arched windows, double brackets under the eaves and quoining on the corners. The double-hung front door has a fanlight and the second-floor door has a keystone arch linking the same color detail line across the front of the house.
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Galt Book 1 (Cambridge Book 1) – 1 Brant Road North – Georgian style, dormers in attic, Italianate style veranda with pillars
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
York – 39 Front Street South – The Enniskillen Lodge, formerly the Barber Hotel, was built in 1862 for Mr. Daniel Barber, a prominent local hotelier. Large Georgian style windows, doors, and brick detailing are spaced and designed symmetrically. It has a projected cornice with dentils, Regency four-panel door with sidelights and rectangular transom, hood molds over windows, horizontal banding, and corner quoins.
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Cobourg Book 5 – 10 Chapel Street – c. 1841 – This house has Georgian features – balanced facade, medium-pitched roof, and robust end chimneys. Its rather heavy and severe doorway, with its single panel, is characteristic of the Greek Revival style.
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Grafton – 136 Old Danforth Road – Grover House – This two-story (white with dark green shutters) symmetrical designed house with central front door typifies the Georgian style. It was built in c. 1822 by John Grover, an early (1798) settler from Grafton Massachusetts. The hamlet was named after his home town. The original windows would have had 9 over 9, small glass panes. The replacement windows and white cedar clapboard are probably from around 1900. The clapboard still covers the original cedar shingle siding. John Grover gave the land, across from his house, to the Presbyterian Church, now United Church.
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Guelph Book 1 – 21 Stuart Street – Georgian style, belvedere, window voussoirs with keystones, portico
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Hamilton Book 4 – 43 Inglewood Drive – Georgian style, dormers, balcony
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Merrickville – 905 St. Lawrence Street – The Aaron Merrick House – built in 1844 of local stone with refined stone window surrounds and oversized stone quoins for the son of the founder of Merrick’s Mills – Georgian style with distinct Neo-classical detailing; dormers; semi-elliptical fanlight with sidelights frame a door found within a pedimented portico that is light and elegant
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Niagara Falls Book 3 – 12549 Niagara Parkway – Danner House Bed and Breakfast – It was built in 1805 by American immigrant Ulrich Strickler, after moving from Pennsylvania in 1801. It is a stone building with a stucco finish in an early Loyalist Georgian style. The Danner-Sherk House is a solid construction of stone with a white stucco finish, four irregularly spaced bays across the front and a low-pitched roof. The house has the original front entry including the side lights, six-panel door and wood paneling in the door recess. During the War of 1812, his crops and supplies were taken by American troops leaving him with little for survival. Later the house was occupied by the British. After the war in 1816, the house was sold to Joseph Danner, a Quaker from Pennsylvania who moved to Canada in 1807. Danner owned the property from 1816 until 1847; during this period, he reconstructed sections of the home and continued to farm the land. The house was again occupied by troops during the 1837-1838 rebellion as were most homes during this time.
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Niagara-on-the-Lake Book 1 – 209 Queen Street – The Charles Inn c. 1832 – Georgian style – The house was constructed in 1832 by Charles Richardson, a barrister and Member of Parliament. He used the house as his principle residence and later as his summer house. The verandahs and servant’s wing on the east side of the house were added in the end of the last century.
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Oakville – 1835 – David Patterson, Shipbuilder – #19 – Georgian style
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Orangeville Book 2 – 63 Broadway – James Graham – Tavern Keeper c. 1852 – Greystones Inn – Georgian style
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Oshawa Book 1 – Centre Street South – Georgian style, dormers
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Paris Book 2 – 59-61 Banfield Street – Georgian – two-story frontispiece with pediment
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Parry Sound – 10 Gibson Street – Bayside Inn
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Perth – 66 Craig Street – Inge-Va (a Tamil word meaning “come here”) Museum – local sandstone house – 1824 – Colonial Georgian style of an Ontario cottage – balanced facade, sidelights and transom
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Peterborough Book 3 – 404 Belmont Avenue – Georgian, dormers in attic
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Port Hope Book 2 – 21 Dorset Street East – John David Smith House (The Bluestone) – c. 1834 – The two-story house is rectangular in plan. The basement is of random rubble and the four end chimneys are brick. The style of the house is Greek Revival. Although the symmetry and the rectangular plan are typical of the Georgian style, much of the exterior and interior detail is definitely Greek in derivation. The house is well-proportioned and balanced with nine windows on the main and rear facades and six windows on the west end (one false).
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Sarnia Book 4 – 314 Vidal Street North – Georgian, pillared entrance with curved pediment, dentil molding, decorative cornice, voussoirs and keystones, sidelights and transom window
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Sault Ste. Marie – 831 Queen Street East – The Ermatinger Old Stone House is a two-story stone structure built on the north bank of the St. Mary’s River near the rapids in Sault Ste. Marie. The house provides a link to Sault Ste. Marie’s role in the fur trade and to one of its earliest settlers. Charles Oakes Ermatinger, a member of a prominent Montreal family who joined the Northwest Company and married Charlotte Katawabeda, the daughter of the Paramount Chief of the Ojibway, built the house in 1812-1814 of local red sandstone in a style characteristic of vernacular Georgian architecture but employed Quebec construction techniques. The house quickly became the center of government in the northwest part of the province and of the business and social life of the district. It later served as the first courthouse, a post office and a hotel. The house served as the headquarters of Sir Garnet Wolseley in 1870 when the expedition he commanded stopped at Sault Ste. Marie enroute to quell the Red River Rebellion and to establish Canadian sovereignty over Manitoba and the Northwest Territories.
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Simcoe – 109 Norfolk Street South – Eva Brook Donly Museum – Georgian style
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Southampton – Walker House – a popular meeting place for food and spirits since 1915 – Georgian style – 146 High Street – a historic hotel in the village since the 1860s
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Southwest Oxford Township – Delmer – Brownsville Road
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
St. Catharines, Book 4 – 101 King Street – former Court House – Georgian style – 1848-1849 – The visible James and King Street facades are of channeled Queenston ashlars while the concealed west and north walls are constructed with a course rubble limestone and brick, respectively. The front facade has a tower with a three-faced striking clock and is topped by an octagonal cupola. The clock continues to chime with the assistance of the original weights which extend from the clock tower to the first floor. The entrance to the building is carved in stone like the town hall in Perugia, Italy. It features upright balustrades which conform to the slope of the stairway. The supporting columns under the copings on each side are individually carved to fit its specific location. The northeast wing cut-stone addition to the original structure was built in 1865 to accommodate the County offices and courthouse.
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
St. George Book 2 – 129 Oakland Road – Built by Mordecai Westbrook, a member of one of the original families of Oakland. Georgian style with original double hung six over six windows and shutters. The walls are triple-bricked with bricks said to have been made on site. The widow’s walk and rear stone coach house are both original.
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Stoney Creek – The Nash-Jackson House was originally located at the north-east corner of King Street East and Nash Road in Hamilton. The house was built in 1818 in the Georgian style. The house was moved to Stoney Creek Battlefield Park in 1999.
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Town of Lincoln (Jordan) – 3812 Main Street, Jordan Station – Georgian style – curved pediment above door
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Uxbridge Book 2 – 39 Main Street North – Former Commercial Hotel Building and Property – Hobby Horse Arms – c. 1868 – Georgian style
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Waterford – Georgian – six-over-six windows, Doric pillars, widow’s walk on rooftop, sidelights and transom window around door
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Waterloo Book 3 – 20 Menno Street – Conrad Fenner, carpenter and joiner, built his own wood frame house in 1867; he enlarged his 1½ story home to a full 2 stories in 1886 – Georgian style, pediment above entrance, fluted half columns, cornice brackets, granite field stone foundation
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Windsor Book 2 – 942 Victoria Avenue – Georgian with eyebrow window in roof, pillared entrance with rounded pediment
Georgian Architectural Photos, Ontario
Woodstock Book 3 – 447 Hunter Street – 1913 – Neo-Georgian architecture, Neo-Classical door – symmetrical two story, red brick, once Presbyterian manse, parapet ends on gable roof, decorative stone keystone and stone