Stouffville is the primary urban area within the town of Whitchurch–Stouffville. It
is centered at the intersection of Main Street, Mill Street and Market Street.
In 1805-06 Abraham Stouffer (1780-1851), a Pennsylvania Mennonite,
bought four hundred acres of land in the area and built a saw and grist mill on
Duffin’s Creek and a settlement grew up around it. In 1832 a post office named
Stouffville was established. By 1864, with a population of about seven hundred,
there were several prosperous industries including carriage works, harness
works, and the mills of Edward Wheler, a prominent merchant. The construction
of the Toronto and Nipissing Railway was completed in 1871 and growing
agricultural prosperity stimulated the community’s growth.
A large number of the early settlers of present-day
Whitchurch-Stouffville were members of the Historic Peace Churches: Brethren in
Christ (Tunkers), Mennonites, and Quakers. They were attracted to settle in
Upper Canada by Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe with the offer of military
exemption (1793). The peace teachings of the Christian tradition greatly shaped
their faith and caused them to wrestle with what it means to be people of God’s
peace, especially during times of conflict and war. As pioneers of
conscientious objection in Canada, their commitment to the work of peace and
reconciliation continues to stand witness in this community and around the
world.
6731 Main Street – Late Victorian Hybrid – corner quoins, finials and trim on gables, voussoirs and keystones over windows6490 Main Street – Neo-Colonial – gambrel roof, dormer6465 Main Street – bay window6204 Main Street – The Earl of Whitchurch Pub – corner quoinsMain Street – Second Empire style – mansard roof, dormers with window hoods6128-6130 Main Street – two-story towers flanking the entrance, fretwork, dichromatic brickwork, contrasting voussoirs with keystones and drip molds over windows6139 Main Street – verge board trim on dormer, cobblestone veranda and pillars242 Rupert Avenue – c. 1892 – fretwork, bay window169 Rupert Avenue – Late Victorian Hybrid – bay window, contrasting window voussoirs, trim on peak of gable185 Rupert Avenue – Late Victorian Hybrid – quoins, bay windowRupert Avenue – Romanesque – window with sidelights and transom52 William Street – c. 1892 – verge board trim on gable, second floor balcony196 Second Street – steeply-pitched gables, transoms on lower level windows30 Albert Street – Italianate Villa – 1884 – It has a rare original semi-circular wood door.19 Albert Street – c. 1896 – Romanesque/Queen Anne – built for Joseph A. Todd, owner of the Todd block; he was a dealer in grain, flour, feed, coal, wood, seeds, potatoes, pork, corn, beans, felt roofing, salt in barrels, bulk lime, cement, plaster, fire brick, tile, wood, etc. He operated grain elevators at the train station and had his office in the corner store of the block on Main Street between Edward and Albert Streets.6 Albert Street – Built in 1878 for Jacob Raymer, a miller – Late Victorian hybrid with Italianate features